Skip to navigation
Truly Committed Counsel
For the People of Texas
Contact Me Today

Child Custody & Modifications Attorney
Serving Frisco, Texas and Surrounding Areas

I’m committed to providing individuals like you with compassionate litigation services and securing ideal futures for the children of Texas. Learn more about your options by setting up a consultation, or text me at (469) 854-1900 for an immediate response.

I'm Here to Advocate For You and Your Child

Child custody cases are emotionally demanding, but you don’t have to navigate your dispute alone. Empower yourself with a trusted attorney in your corner and essential knowledge in your back pocket:

  • How Custody Is Determined: You and your child’s other parent may be able to negotiate a settlement. If this is the case, a judge will formalize the terms of the settlement in a child custody hearing. If you are unable to come to a mutually agreeable arrangement, the court will listen to both sides and make a decision based on the best interests of the child.

  • Collecting Sufficient Evidence: Custody cases originate because the current parenting arrangement is failing. It’s extremely beneficial to store emails, texts, and all written correspondence in a safe place so that you can display strong evidence of shortcomings to the court when the time comes.

  • Geographic Restrictions: A geographic restriction is part of a custody order that restricts where children subject to the order can reside. Not all orders include geographic restrictions, but because this component helps keep your child or children remain near to both parents, it can be difficult to modify down the road depending on the circumstances.

If you’re currently trying to navigate a custody dispute in the Frisco, Texas area, reach out to me for skilled legal representation.

Modifying Child Custody in Texas

Kids come first, which is why it’s important to request child custody modifications as their needs evolve and as family circumstances change. There are limited circumstances under which Texas courts will grant a request for modification. Your request must be in the best interest of the child and based on one or more of the following:

  • Your child is at least 12 years of age and has communicated to the court a preference as to who should have the exclusive right to designate their primary residence. It’s important to note here that the court can still deny a child’s request if it’s not determined to reflect their best interests.

  • The conservator who currently holds the right to designate your child’s primary residence has voluntarily relinquished the primary care and possession to another person for at least six months. This does not apply if the conservator relinquished care due to military service.

  • The circumstances of your child, you, the other parent of your child, or any other person affected by the order have undergone “material and substantial” changes after the date of the current order or mediated settlement agreement.

An example of a material and substantial change is if you or another conservator enters into a new marriage, especially one that severely impacts the existing custody arrangement. Others could be a change in residence, a new medical condition that reduces the ability to care for your child, and any incidents that instigate involvement of Child Protection Services.

Receive the Compassionate Legal Assistance You Deserve

You’re dealing with a lot right now. Leave the litigation hardships to me so you can focus on family. Connect with me at the Law Office of Dawn R Hedlund, PLLC for empathetic legal service and guidance. I’ve been providing legal counsel to clients and their families since 2002, making me the experienced partner you want to trust with your case.

I advocate for the parents and guardians of Texas in cases of child custody and modifications. Get in touch with me today to find out how I can help realize the resolution that’s best for your family. From my office in Allen, I proudly serve clients in Frisco and Plano, as well as those located throughout Collin and Denton counties.